Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ
of Later Day Saints

by Leigh Ribbel

The work of this church was started in the Stokes Bay area about one mile north of the village at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ribbel. Mrs. Ribbel being the only member of the church at that time. Through the efforts of these people, with others, Elder Ben St. John, was the first missionary sent here by the church in 1899. A large number accepted the work.
In the year 1900, Missionary Elder John Shields organized a branch. Elder Henry Ribbel was the Pastor, with William Burley and his son Albert, as officers. The Branch was livly and grew to a membership of 125.
After a time, members and officers began to move away including, Pastor Henry Ribbel who moved with his family to New Liskeard in 1912. They remained there for about five years, and again moved back to their home near Stokes Bay (The Rory McLennan house that was once on Hidden Hills ground). Again the work of their church revived, and became known as a group under Pastor Ribbel’s leadership.
Finally, two groups were formed. One known as the Lion’s Head Group under the leadership of Henry Ribbel and the other known as the Stokes Bay Group under J.L. (Leigh) Ribbel. Then the two groups united and became known as the Stokes Bay Group. After the passing of Elder Ribbel in 1939, the group still carried on under the leadership of his son J.L. Ribbel. Meetings were conducted in the homes and also in the Orange Hall.

Pages 102 - 103 of Old Timers’ Tales
A History of Stokes Bay and Area
(Bruce Peninsula)
By Helene Scott